Red, White and BOOM Cardboard Boat Regatta
Cardboard Boat Regatta
Date: July 2, 2022
Time: 2 p.m.
Location: NAS I Splashers Pool
Join us at Splashers Pool for our Annual Cardboard Boat Regatta. Patrons are invited to build a boat made ONLY from cardboard and duct tape to get across 25 meters of the pool with the fastest time!
Important Information and Rules:
- Multiple individuals can contribute to building the boat, however, only two Captains will race the boat on the day of the regatta.
- Racing teams can be made of three categories: youth (2 people under the age of 18), adult (2 people 18 or older) or youth/adult mix (one person under the age of 18 and one person 18 or older).
- Captains ages 16 and under must take the Navy Swim Test before the race and possess the swim test card. The Navy Swim Test is conducted during all regular open hours at NAS 1 Pool – the last fifteen minutes of every hour. Please approach a lifeguard for the test. All competitors 16 and under must complete a 25 m swim, jump into the deep end and tread for one minute – all unassisted. If swim tests are taken on race day, they must be completed by 1 p.m.
- Youth 9 years and under must be accompanied by and under the supervision of an individual who is at least 16 years of age. Youth between 10 and 16 years of age can be left unattended but must have completed the Navy Swim Test.
- Boats will be judged and trophies will be awarded to the winner of each category for: (1) Most Creative Boat, (2) Most “Titanic Like” Sink and (3) Fastest Time (25 meters).
- The body of the boat must only be made of cardboard and duct tape. Ornate additions may be made to the boat. Additions may not be used for floatation but only for decoration. Boats that have used anything other than cardboard and duct tape for floatation will be disqualified.
- The boats will be raced one length of the NAS 1 pool – 25 meters.
- Teams and their boats must be present by 1:45. The race will begin promptly at 2 p.m.
Registration: Please visit NAS I or NAS II Fitness Center to fill out the registration form by July 1 at 12 p.m.